Cynthia Arce in court

Defendant: Cynthia Arce (DOB 07/10/89)

Oct. 31, 2019 – Westchester County District Attorney Anthony A. Scarpino, Jr. announced Cynthia Arce of Mamaroneck was sentenced to prison for the murder of her toddler daughter, Gabriella Boyd, and other charges related to the attack on two Village of Mamaroneck police officers in her home April 28, 2018. State Supreme Court Justice Barry Warhit presided.

In September, Arce pleaded guilty to three counts and was sentenced today as follows:

  • For Murder in the Second Degree, a class A felony, in the death of two-year-old Gabriella Boyd, she will serve 25 years to life in state prison.
  • In the attack on the two Village of Mamaroneck police officers, on two counts of Attempted Aggravated Assault upon a Police Officer, class C felonies, Arce was sentenced to 10 years in state prison and 5 year’s post-release supervision for each count.

    The sentences will run concurrently.

In court today, Gabriella Boyd’s father, Stephen Boyd told of the impact his daughter’s death has had on him and those who loved the child. He directed his comments at Arce saying she did not deserve to be called a mother.

Statement from Westchester County District Attorney Anthony A. Scarpino, Jr.:
“Today, we saw justice for little Gabriella Boyd, an innocent child whose life was stolen from her at the hands of her mother. We hope today’s sentence will help bring closure to the family who loved her.” said DA Scarpino. “No one takes joy in the fact that a mother admits to murdering her child but Cynthia Arce will now pay with her freedom, serving 25 years to life in prison for this heinous act,” He added. “Our police officers put their lives in danger every day and we thank them for that. Today, the two who were injured have also received justice through the courts.”

On April 28, 2018, Village of Mamaroneck Police responded to 507 Chestnut Ave. following a 911 call from Cynthia Arce's mother, reporting that someone was dying. When they arrived, police found two-year-old Gabriella Boyd unresponsive on her bed.

Officers immediately tried to resuscitate the child. While clearing the house, other officers located Arce in an adjacent bedroom behind a closed door. Arce had both her hands hidden behind her back and refused to comply with repeated police commands to show her hands. Arce then brought both hands from behind her back and above her shoulders revealing two large knives, one in each hand. She charged at the officers, repeatedly slashing at two of them. When the use of a stun gun failed to subdue her, a third officer shot and wounded Arce, ending the confrontation. Officers continued their efforts to resuscitate the child until paramedics arrived.

The child was transported to White Plains Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Following an autopsy, the Medical Examiner’s Officer ruled her death to be a homicide. Two Village of Mamaroneck Police Officers were injured as a result of the confrontation.

Arce was taken to Westchester County Medical Center where she was treated for several weeks for her gunshot injuries. Arce was arrested at the hospital, charged, and remanded by a judge to the Westchester County Jail where she has remained since.

The investigation into the child’s murder was handled in collaboration with the Village of Mamaroneck Police Department, the Westchester County Department of Public Safety and the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Laura Murphy, Bureau Chief of the Career Criminal Bureau, and Nicholas DiCostanzo, both of the Superior Court Trial Division.

 In compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 3.6, you are advised that a charge is merely an accusation and that a defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.


Media contact:
(914) 995-3586