111 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
White Plains, NY 10601
Tel: (914) 995-3586
Fax: (914) 995-2116


Sept. 30, 2014 -- Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore announced that John Murray (DOB 02/12/52) of 180 Liberty Street, Newburgh, New York, was sentenced today to life in prison without parole on his April 2014 conviction after a jury trial of all counts in the indictment charging him with:

  • one count of Murder in the First Degree, a class “A-1” Felony,
  • one count of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree, a class “C” Felony,

in connection with the murder of Terry Camper.

Co-conspirator Beatrice Camper (DOB 01/27/52) of 1101 Brown Street, Peekskill, New York pled guilty on Feb. 20, 2014 to:

  • one count of Murder in the Second Degree, a class “A-1” Felony,

and was sentenced on June 17, 2014 to 15 years to life in prison.

On Oct. 3, 2012 at approximately 2:10 p.m., a postal worker observed a grey Mercury Marquis parked in the area of 118 Pine Street facing the wrong direction. She observed the driver was not moving and called 911.  On arrival first responders immediately recognized the driver as Terry Camper, known to them as a local “taxi” driver.  

First responders observed that Terry Camper had blood dripping from the left side of his head behind his ear by his neck area.  Camper was transported to Hudson Valley Hospital Center where he was pronounced dead at 3:05 p.m.

While Murray was in state prison awaiting parole for a two unrelated murders committed in 1977, he began to plan the murder of the victim, Terry Camper, his co-conspirator’s husband. Murray utilized the prison telephones to gather information on his intended victim. Throughout his planning, he and Beatrice Camper had numerous telephone conversations.

Peekskill police initiated a wide ranging investigation. Numerous interviews were conducted along with extensive forensic analysis.

Terry Camper’s wife, Beatrice Camper, was interviewed by detectives on Oct. 4.
Based on various sources and information, on Oct. 4, 2012 members of Peekskill Police Department set-up surveillance on John Murray’s home and he was taken into custody in Newburgh.

“This conviction and sentencing reflects the third separate and unrelated murder that this defendant has committed during his lifetime. He has spent virtually his whole adult life in prison. By his past actions and his actions in this case, John Murray has shown that his punishment must be permanent and he should be removed from society for the rest of his life. The sentence handed down by the Court today, of life in prison without the possibilities of parole, will now hold him accountable for his behavior,” said District Attorney Janet DiFiore.

Assistant District Attorneys Laura Murphy and Kerrie Williams of the Homicide Bureau prosecuted the case.


John Murray

John Murray